MustLoveMMA.com’s Susan Cingari was at Broward County Courthouse for Cage & Screen
Everybody Has A Story
Representatives for UFC light heavyweight Volkan Oezdemir appeared Broward County’s Seventeenth Judicial Circuit Court today for a calendar call in his ongoing court case, at which a date was set for the fighter to face a jury trial on a count of battery causing great bodily harm, a third-degree felony.
Oezdemir pleaded not guilty to the charges, which stem from an altercation the 28-year-old Switzerland native was allegedly involved in outside Capone’s bar in Fort Lauderdale, Fl, on Aug. 12, 2017. He was initially arrested Nov. 18, 2017 on a second-degree felony charge of aggravated battery causing serious bodily harm or disability.
Felony battery causing great bodily harm in Florida carries a maximum sentence of 5 years incarceration.
In a hearing Nov. 19, Oezdemir’s attorney, former federal prosecutor Bruce A. Zimet, described the incident as a “bar room altercation” in which his client was not the aggressor and acted justifiably pursuant to Florida law.
According to court records, the alleged victim left the bar after hearing a friend had been knocked unconscious following a verbal altercation. When he asked what had happened, he said he “looked up and was hit in the face” by what the state prosecutor described as a “sucker punch.”
The victim claims he lost consciousness for approximately 14 minutes, was treated at a local hospital for concussion symptoms, and received multiple staples for lacerations. Witnesses at the scene allegedly told the victim it was Oezdemir who hit him.
Oezdemir’s trial is set for 6/18 at Broward County Courthouse. MustLoveMMA.com will continue to follow the story as it unfolds.