Assault Charges Dropped Against UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir

Must Love MMA’s Susan Cingari was at Broward County Courthouse for Cage & Screen

The jury trial of UFC fighter Volkan Oezdemir (15-2-0) was to commence today at Broward County Courthouse but the case ended swiftly with the charges being dropped.

Oezdemir had pleaded not guilty to one count of battery causing great bodily harm, a third-degree felony. The charge stemmed from an altercation the 28-year-old Switzerland native was allegedly involved in outside Capone’s bar in Fort Lauderdale, Fl, on Aug. 12, 2017.

Bruce Zimet, Oezdemir’s lawyer,  said earlier this week he only expected the trial to last a few days. However this morning the case was dropped. Spokesperson Kristi Grimm, from the state attorney’s office, confirmed the case has been ruled “nolle prosequi,” which means the prosecution will no longer pursue the charge. Grimm said the charges were dropped “due to lack of cooperation from the victim.”

While the charges Oezdemir faced carried a maximum sentence of  5 years incarceration, the UFC was clearly betting on their fighter being available after the trial. This week it was announced Oezdemir will face Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 227 on Aug. 4 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Oezdemir had previously been scheduled to fight Mauricio Rua at UFC Hamburg on July 22 but that fight was canceled.

By | 2018-07-09T15:06:32+00:00 July 9th, 2018|News|Comments Off on Assault Charges Dropped Against UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir