Jury Trial Date Set for UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir

MustLoveMMA.com’s Susan Cingari was at Broward County Courthouse for Cage & Screen

Everybody Has A Story

Representatives for UFC light heavyweight Volkan Oezdemir appeared Broward County’s Seventeenth Judicial Circuit Court today for a calendar call in his ongoing court case, at which a date was set for the fighter to face a jury trial on a count of battery causing great bodily harm, a third-degree felony.

Oezdemir pleaded not guilty to the charges, which stem from an altercation the 28-year-old Switzerland native was allegedly involved in outside Capone’s bar in Fort Lauderdale, Fl, on Aug. 12, 2017.  He was initially arrested Nov. 18, 2017 on a second-degree felony charge of aggravated battery causing serious bodily harm or disability.

Felony battery causing great bodily harm in Florida carries a maximum sentence of 5 years incarceration.

In a hearing Nov. 19, Oezdemir’s attorney, former federal prosecutor Bruce A. Zimet, described the incident as a “bar room altercation” in which his client was not the aggressor and acted justifiably pursuant to Florida law.

According to court records, the alleged victim left the bar after hearing a friend had been knocked unconscious following a verbal altercation. When he asked what had happened, he said he “looked up and was hit in the face” by what the state prosecutor described as a “sucker punch.”

The victim claims he lost consciousness for approximately 14 minutes, was treated at a local hospital for concussion symptoms, and received multiple staples for lacerations. Witnesses at the scene allegedly told the victim it was Oezdemir who hit him.

Oezdemir’s trial is set for 6/18 at Broward County Courthouse. MustLoveMMA.com will continue to follow the story as it unfolds.

By | 2018-05-10T16:23:44+00:00 May 10th, 2018|News|Comments Off on Jury Trial Date Set for UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir

UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir Back In Court On Assault Charges

MustLoveMMA.com’s Susan Cingari was at Broward County Courthouse for Cage & Screen

Everybody Has A Story

Representatives for UFC light heavyweight Volkan Oezdemir appeared Broward County’s Seventeenth Judicial Circuit Court today for a calendar call in his ongoing court case. (more…)

By | 2018-03-29T14:26:25+00:00 March 29th, 2018|News|Comments Off on UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir Back In Court On Assault Charges

UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir Arraigned In Florida Court Today

volkan oezdemir court case graphic mustlovemmma

MustLoveMMA.com’s Susan Cingari reports for Cage & Screen on the ongoing legal troubles of MMA fighter Volkan Oezdemir.

Every Fighter Has A Story.

UFC light heavyweight title contender Volkan Oezdemir appeared in Broward County’s Seventeenth Judicial Circuit Court and was arraigned today. He is due back in court on  Feb 22, 2018.

Oezdemir pleaded not guilty to a charge of battery causing great bodily harm, a third-degree felony. Oezdemir (15-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC), a 28-year-old Switzerland native, has been training for his upcoming title challenge against Daniel Cormier at UFC 220 with Combat Club in Lantana, Fl.

The charge stems from an altercation outside Capone’s bar in Fort Lauderdale, Fl, that occurred Aug. 12, 2017. Oezdemir was arrested Nov. 18, 2017, initially on a second-degree felony charge of aggravated battery causing serious bodily harm or disability.

According to court records, the alleged victim left the bar after hearing a friend had been knocked unconscious following a verbal altercation. When he asked what had happened, he said he “looked up and was hit in the face” by what the state prosecutor described as a “sucker punch.”

The alleged victim claims he lost consciousness for approximately 14 minutes, was treated at a local hospital for concussion symptoms, and received multiple staples for lacerations. Witnesses at the scene told the alleged victim it was Oezdemir who hit him.  A second report, claiming Oezdemir struck another man, was designated inactive when he refused to cooperate with police.

In a hearing Nov. 19, Oezdemir’s attorney, Bruce A. Zimet, a former federal prosecutor, described the scene as a  “bar room altercation” in which his client was not the aggressor and acted justifiably pursuant to Florida law. Oezdemir has claimed the incident was prompted when somebody approached his fiancee at the bar while he was in the restroom.

Oezdemir pleaded not guilty to the second-degree felony charges on Nov. 29 and was released on a $10,000 bond. Florida state attorney Michael J. Satz filed the new charges Dec. 15.  A no-bond arrest warrant was issued the same day, to come into effect if Oezdemir failed to appear in court today (Jan. 9). That warrant was subsequently vacated.

Felony battery causing great bodily harm in Florida carries a maximum sentence of 5 years incarceration. The original charge of aggravated battery carried a potential prison sentence of 15 years.

Oezdemir remains optimistic about the future. “I have a really good team around me,” he told The MMA Hour. “Believe me, everything is going to be all right…. I don’t really know about all the details, how it’s gonna happen. But definitely I’m gonna fight and I’m gonna be champion.”

Meanwhile title holder Daniel Cormier isn’t getting drawn into debate about his opponent’s legal worries. “I really don’t have any energy anymore for all these guys’ extracurriculars anymore…. I feel like I have lost years of my life dealing with the sh-t with [Jon] Jones, in terms of the arguments, the fighting, the worry, whether we’re going to fight, when we’re going to fight…. I’ve lost a lot of time and energy just wasted on things that were out of my control.”

UFC 220 airs on Pay-Per-View Saturday 01.20.2018 at 10:00 PM ET, with prelims live on Fox Sports 1. In the headline fight, champion Stipe Miocic looks to make history as the UFC’s most successful heavyweight when he faces challenger Francis N’Gannou. Daniel Cormier vs. Volkan Oezdemir, a light heavyweight title bout, is the co-main event.

By | 2018-03-26T11:45:02+00:00 January 9th, 2018|News|Comments Off on UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir Arraigned In Florida Court Today

MustLoveMMA.com’s Susan Cingari Named PG Sports MMA Reporter of the Year

pg sports reporter of the year

MustLoveMMA.com’s Susan Cingari was honored to be named PG SportsMMA Sports Journalist Reporter of the Year. Susan was named alongside athletes and influencers from a variety of fields, including Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, and MMA’s Conor McGregor and Lynch on Sports.

2017 was a dramatic year for MMA, and MustLoveMMA and Susan Cingari were there for every step. From the May/Mac superfight to GSP’s return, and a host of new title holders — the UFC saw Tony Ferguson take the interim lightweight belt, Max Holloway win the featherweight title, TJ Dillashaw reclaim his bantamweight belt from old rival Cody Garbrandt, Cris Cyborg took her place at the head of the women’s featherweight division, Nicco Montano was crowned women’s inaugural flyweight champ, and Rose Namajunas took the UFC strawweight belt. And of course GSP defeated Michael Bisping to take the middleweight belt, only to vacate the title. Interim titleholder Robert Whittaker was promoted to undisputed champion on Dec 7.

Bellator MMA also welcomed a host of new champions — Ryan Bader as light heavyweight, Brent Primus won the lightweight title, Patricio Freire took the featherweight belt, Darrion Caldwell won the bantamweight crown, Julia Budd became women’s featherweight champ, and Ilima-Lei Macfarlane claimed the women’s flyweight title.

Susan and the MustLoveMMA.com team are excited to see what happens in 2018, and can’t wait to bring you all the breaking news through weekly episodes of The Cage & Screen Report! Every Fighter Has A Story!

By | 2018-03-26T11:45:02+00:00 January 2nd, 2018|News|Comments Off on MustLoveMMA.com’s Susan Cingari Named PG Sports MMA Reporter of the Year

Scuffle Breaks Out In Palm Beach County Courtroom In Murder Case Of MMA Fighter Aaron Rajman

MMA fighter Aaron Rajman was shot to death at his home in Boca Raton, FL, in early July.
Source: Instagram/Aaronrajman

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – 2 of  three teens who have been officially charged with first-degree murder and home invasion robbery with a firearm in the tragic shooting death of rising MMA star Aaron Rajman were back in Palm Beach County Court today.

The accused teensagers showed no emotion as they entered the courtroom wearing the traditional orange and blue jumpsuits handcuffed and shackled.

Tensions ran high at one point as Sheriff’s office deputies had to break up a brief scuffle between family members for the suspects and the victim.

Also in court today, the mother of 16 year old Summer Church, Judith Church who had harsh words for local news outlet WPTV, storming away when asked for a comment by the station’s local reporter insisting “The media does not tell the whole story or the truth”.

On July 3, 2017 a group of men entered Rajman’s home in the 22700 block of Southwest 65th Terrace, Boca Raton, about 10:24 p.m.  An argument ensued, and Rajman was fatally shot.

“This was no random act of violence,” Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg said  “Mr. Rajman was targeted by these defendants, and we intend to seek justice for the victim and his family.”

Rajman was a well-known figure in the local Jewish community and was the only Orthodox mma fighter competing in the sport of MixedMartialArts.  He trained at the prestigious American Top Team in South Florida.

Rabbi Zalman Bukiet, director of the Chabad of West Boca Raton, called him “a special young man who had a heart of gold.”

Judge Burton set a status check for the case for January 22, 2018 and the 3 teens are expected to be back in court on that day.  MustLoveMMA.com will continue to follow the story as events unfold.

 

 

By | 2018-03-26T11:45:07+00:00 October 19th, 2017|News|Comments Off on Scuffle Breaks Out In Palm Beach County Courtroom In Murder Case Of MMA Fighter Aaron Rajman

UFC FIGHT PASS® KICKS OFF SUMMER SEASON WITH 24/7 LIVE STREAM & DANA WHITE’S TUESDAY NIGHT CONTENDER SERIES

JULY AND AUGUST WILL FEATURE MORE THAN 100 HOURS OF LIVE PROGRAMMING

Las Vegas, Nevada – UFC FIGHT PASS® announced last week that the world’s greatest digital destination for combat sports has added a linear streaming channel. FIGHT PASS 24/7 will be the go-to for live events, the premiere of Originals and curated content, and is now available as a complement to FIGHT PASS’s traditional video-on-demand (VOD) functionality.

“Our subscribers asked for more live fights, and this summer FIGHT PASS will bring them more than 100 hours of live and exclusive action – including the launch of the FIGHT PASS 24/7 stream and the brand new Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series,” said Joe Carr, UFC Senior Vice President of International and Content.

FIGHT PASS currently offers subscribers VOD access to 16,000+ fights from more than 35 MMA, grappling and kickboxing organizations, along with UFC’s archive of television shows including The Ultimate Fighter.

FIGHT PASS 24/7’s additional summer offerings include the UFC’s annual Hall of Fame event, UFC Fight Night Rotterdam, two GLORY Kickboxing events, two Invicta FC events, EBI 12: The Female Flyweights and the debut of Polaris, FIGHT PASS’s second world-class jiu-jitsu promotion.

Fans can view the upcoming programming schedule for the next five days and replay anything shown within the last 24 hours through a new VOD feature.

UFC FIGHT PASS is also augmenting its live-action offering. July 11 sees the highly anticipated debut of the exclusive, weekly Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series (DWTNCS). Focused on finding the next generation of UFC talent, DWTNCS will give competitors the biggest stage of their lives as they attempt to show they have what it takes to make it onto the UFC roster.

For more details on FIGHT PASS’s schedule visit: https://www.ufc.tv/category/fightpass-live-events

By | 2018-03-26T11:45:14+00:00 June 21st, 2017|News, Video|Comments Off on UFC FIGHT PASS® KICKS OFF SUMMER SEASON WITH 24/7 LIVE STREAM & DANA WHITE’S TUESDAY NIGHT CONTENDER SERIES