Assault Charges Dropped Against UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir

Must Love MMA’s Susan Cingari was at Broward County Courthouse for Cage & Screen

The jury trial of UFC fighter Volkan Oezdemir (15-2-0) was to commence today at Broward County Courthouse but the case ended swiftly with the charges being dropped.

Oezdemir had pleaded not guilty to one count of battery causing great bodily harm, a third-degree felony. The charge stemmed from an altercation the 28-year-old Switzerland native was allegedly involved in outside Capone’s bar in Fort Lauderdale, Fl, on Aug. 12, 2017.

Bruce Zimet, Oezdemir’s lawyer,  said earlier this week he only expected the trial to last a few days. However this morning the case was dropped. Spokesperson Kristi Grimm, from the state attorney’s office, confirmed the case has been ruled “nolle prosequi,” which means the prosecution will no longer pursue the charge. Grimm said the charges were dropped “due to lack of cooperation from the victim.”

While the charges Oezdemir faced carried a maximum sentence of  5 years incarceration, the UFC was clearly betting on their fighter being available after the trial. This week it was announced Oezdemir will face Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 227 on Aug. 4 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Oezdemir had previously been scheduled to fight Mauricio Rua at UFC Hamburg on July 22 but that fight was canceled.

By | 2018-07-09T15:06:32+00:00 July 9th, 2018|News|Comments Off on Assault Charges Dropped Against UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir

Jury Trial Date Set for UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir

MustLoveMMA.com’s Susan Cingari was at Broward County Courthouse for Cage & Screen

Everybody Has A Story

Representatives for UFC light heavyweight Volkan Oezdemir appeared Broward County’s Seventeenth Judicial Circuit Court today for a calendar call in his ongoing court case, at which a date was set for the fighter to face a jury trial on a count of battery causing great bodily harm, a third-degree felony.

Oezdemir pleaded not guilty to the charges, which stem from an altercation the 28-year-old Switzerland native was allegedly involved in outside Capone’s bar in Fort Lauderdale, Fl, on Aug. 12, 2017.  He was initially arrested Nov. 18, 2017 on a second-degree felony charge of aggravated battery causing serious bodily harm or disability.

Felony battery causing great bodily harm in Florida carries a maximum sentence of 5 years incarceration.

In a hearing Nov. 19, Oezdemir’s attorney, former federal prosecutor Bruce A. Zimet, described the incident as a “bar room altercation” in which his client was not the aggressor and acted justifiably pursuant to Florida law.

According to court records, the alleged victim left the bar after hearing a friend had been knocked unconscious following a verbal altercation. When he asked what had happened, he said he “looked up and was hit in the face” by what the state prosecutor described as a “sucker punch.”

The victim claims he lost consciousness for approximately 14 minutes, was treated at a local hospital for concussion symptoms, and received multiple staples for lacerations. Witnesses at the scene allegedly told the victim it was Oezdemir who hit him.

Oezdemir’s trial is set for 6/18 at Broward County Courthouse. MustLoveMMA.com will continue to follow the story as it unfolds.

By | 2018-05-10T16:23:44+00:00 May 10th, 2018|News|Comments Off on Jury Trial Date Set for UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir

UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir Back In Court On Assault Charges

MustLoveMMA.com’s Susan Cingari was at Broward County Courthouse for Cage & Screen

Everybody Has A Story

Representatives for UFC light heavyweight Volkan Oezdemir appeared Broward County’s Seventeenth Judicial Circuit Court today for a calendar call in his ongoing court case. (more…)

By | 2018-03-29T14:26:25+00:00 March 29th, 2018|News|Comments Off on UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir Back In Court On Assault Charges

UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir Arraigned In Florida Court Today

volkan oezdemir court case graphic mustlovemmma

MustLoveMMA.com’s Susan Cingari reports for Cage & Screen on the ongoing legal troubles of MMA fighter Volkan Oezdemir.

Every Fighter Has A Story.

UFC light heavyweight title contender Volkan Oezdemir appeared in Broward County’s Seventeenth Judicial Circuit Court and was arraigned today. He is due back in court on  Feb 22, 2018.

Oezdemir pleaded not guilty to a charge of battery causing great bodily harm, a third-degree felony. Oezdemir (15-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC), a 28-year-old Switzerland native, has been training for his upcoming title challenge against Daniel Cormier at UFC 220 with Combat Club in Lantana, Fl.

The charge stems from an altercation outside Capone’s bar in Fort Lauderdale, Fl, that occurred Aug. 12, 2017. Oezdemir was arrested Nov. 18, 2017, initially on a second-degree felony charge of aggravated battery causing serious bodily harm or disability.

According to court records, the alleged victim left the bar after hearing a friend had been knocked unconscious following a verbal altercation. When he asked what had happened, he said he “looked up and was hit in the face” by what the state prosecutor described as a “sucker punch.”

The alleged victim claims he lost consciousness for approximately 14 minutes, was treated at a local hospital for concussion symptoms, and received multiple staples for lacerations. Witnesses at the scene told the alleged victim it was Oezdemir who hit him.  A second report, claiming Oezdemir struck another man, was designated inactive when he refused to cooperate with police.

In a hearing Nov. 19, Oezdemir’s attorney, Bruce A. Zimet, a former federal prosecutor, described the scene as a  “bar room altercation” in which his client was not the aggressor and acted justifiably pursuant to Florida law. Oezdemir has claimed the incident was prompted when somebody approached his fiancee at the bar while he was in the restroom.

Oezdemir pleaded not guilty to the second-degree felony charges on Nov. 29 and was released on a $10,000 bond. Florida state attorney Michael J. Satz filed the new charges Dec. 15.  A no-bond arrest warrant was issued the same day, to come into effect if Oezdemir failed to appear in court today (Jan. 9). That warrant was subsequently vacated.

Felony battery causing great bodily harm in Florida carries a maximum sentence of 5 years incarceration. The original charge of aggravated battery carried a potential prison sentence of 15 years.

Oezdemir remains optimistic about the future. “I have a really good team around me,” he told The MMA Hour. “Believe me, everything is going to be all right…. I don’t really know about all the details, how it’s gonna happen. But definitely I’m gonna fight and I’m gonna be champion.”

Meanwhile title holder Daniel Cormier isn’t getting drawn into debate about his opponent’s legal worries. “I really don’t have any energy anymore for all these guys’ extracurriculars anymore…. I feel like I have lost years of my life dealing with the sh-t with [Jon] Jones, in terms of the arguments, the fighting, the worry, whether we’re going to fight, when we’re going to fight…. I’ve lost a lot of time and energy just wasted on things that were out of my control.”

UFC 220 airs on Pay-Per-View Saturday 01.20.2018 at 10:00 PM ET, with prelims live on Fox Sports 1. In the headline fight, champion Stipe Miocic looks to make history as the UFC’s most successful heavyweight when he faces challenger Francis N’Gannou. Daniel Cormier vs. Volkan Oezdemir, a light heavyweight title bout, is the co-main event.

By | 2018-03-26T11:45:02+00:00 January 9th, 2018|News|Comments Off on UFC Fighter Volkan Oezdemir Arraigned In Florida Court Today